Key Highlights of the GAC's Review Process
Currently the GAC is NOT undertaking reviews of topic areas without funding.
- The GAC does not develop guidelines. It reviews the literature for existing guidelines in a clinical topic area. It also provides a facilitation role for groups undertaking guideline development.
- Each guideline is reviewed independently by 4 reviewers
- GAC reviewers use an internationally validated guideline assessment tool called the AGREE Instrument, to evaluate the guidelines
- Guidelines are endorsed based on the methodological rigour of the guideline development process, the quality of linkage between evidence and recommendations for best clinical practices, and applicability in Ontario
- Summaries developed by the GAC are based on the endorsed guideline(s)